Monday, August 2, 2010

My Design Career

I have always had an interest in all forms of design from domestic products to commercial architecture. My first inisght to design and architecture was when I was about ten years old and my parents were renovating our family home. I was intrigued by the floor plans and from then on I was continually designing floor plans for houses and buildings.

While at high school, I studied Woodwork, Visual Arts, Design and Technology, and Hospitality. Through these subjects I was able to explore and express design even through the preentation of food in Hospitality. It was through these experiences at high school which lead me to consider a career in design and study Industrial Design at UNSW.

I Would like to become a qualified industrial designer so I can further explore my passion for design and produce products which have a positive impact on society and improve the quality of life for people all over the world. Exploring a career in marketing and advertising revolutionary products is also of interest to me. Inittially I was thinking of studying landscape architecture at either UNSW of the University of Canberra (UC) as I have a passion for plants, the natural environment and how humans interact within certain environments. It was at an open day for UC when I descovered the Industrial Design course and I became particularly interested in the design projects and carerr opertunities following the course. I chose to study Industrial design at UNSW for a number of reasons including, I recieved the necessary marks to gain entry into the course, the university has a high level of prestige, the course is highly recognised at an international level and also as the university was closer to my home town of Wollongong than The University of Canberra. My inspiration to study Industrial Design came from my succesful results and Major Design Project in Design and technology in the HSC, which saw my Major Work nominated for the 'Design Tech' exhibiton at the Power House Museum in Sydney.

I am currenty living on campus at UNSW which has given me an insight to living independently and exploring all of what Sydney has to offer socially, academically and career wise. My current feelings about choosing to study Industrial Design at UNSW are very positive and I am confident that i have chosen the right course and career path for myself.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea to choose Industrial Design over Landscape Architecture.. I did 3 years of it, then decided to transfer to industrial. In saying that, i did quite enjoy working with the environment and it's human interaction, however i think I'm much better suited to this - Enough about me! Good work in this course so far.. keep it up.

    ReplyDelete